Monday, December 07, 2009

Biblical citations give football a black eye

Much has been made of celebrity quarterback Tim Tebow’s “message” eye shadow patches.

I must not have been paying attention when the Florida player, a devote Christian, put “John” on the right eye shadow patch and “16:33” on the left for millions to see last January in the BCS Championship game.

Or maybe I skipped the game. I can’t recall.

But I did watch Alabama trounce Florida on Saturday. Tebow was at it again — Biblical-wise. And. again, he chose John 16:33.

I confess the eye shadow message was as riveting as the game.

What’s it mean when you can’t watch a simple football game without having some in-your-face biblical passage thrown in your face?

The passage, by the way, is this (make of it what you will):

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But be of good cheer! I have overcome the world.

Does “trouble” equal “’Bama”? Tebow was hardly of “good cheer” following the game. He openly wept at the worldly outcome.

Clearly the NCAA needs to put an end to this eye-shadow non-sense. If this is a free speech issue, where does it stop? Or does it?

Once upon a time, black athletes might well have written “Black”…“Power” on the little billboards under their eyes.

Or, heaven forbid “Peace on”…”Earth.” Or “Love”…”your enemy.”

What’s to prevent a political message: “Vote for”….”Obama” or “McCain” etc.? or “Nix Health”…”Reform.”

Or how about “Drink…Bud”?

And why not allow bumper stickers on helmets too?

No, this needs to stop, now.

Why is it taking so long? Are attorneys lining up on the sidelines?

By the way, I checked to see how that final score of Saturday’s game translates into chapter and verse in the Book of John. The score was 13-32. I was hoping for gridiron epiphany. Here’s what I got:

If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.”

Where's Howard Cosell when we need him?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home