Thursday, June 19, 2008

Where's the Rage?

Apparently Red Electric readers have had trouble posting comments. A couple of months ago I decided to screen comments, but I inadvertently set up a barrier requiring user IDs. I think I have that fixed now, so feel free to comment.

One of the responses that didn't make it through the gantlet was from a Lizi Zach, a friend and former student. Lizi lives in Berlin where, much to her relief, the Germans know that Americans are better in every way than the inhabitant of the White House.

She writes regarding my recent comment that various forms of government would have disposed of George W. Bush long ago:

"....saw your piece on Bush, The Decider. Right on.

I meet with my boss every year to go over long-term and short-term goals and if the annual ones are not met, my job is on the line. The Iowa floods are one such test for Bush. But what of Osama bin Laden? Iraq and 'mission accomplished'? As I mentioned to you on the phone a couple weeks ago: Where is the rage?"

We may not know exactly where it is, but I have a pretty good idea of when it will express itself: Nov. 4.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

I found your blog via a link some months ago... are you by any chance the Mr. Seifert I met at some Transit Mall CAC meetings? (I was the guy pushing for preservation of the original bus shelters.) I've enjoyed your posts and never got around to registering -- I look forward to commenting on some of your future posts.

- Bob R.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Rick Seifert said...

Must have been someone else, although I USE the transit mall fairly regularly.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention I also have relatives out on Seifert Rd.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going back to the post...Where's the rage? It's either buried in debt or systematically suppressed by fear. People who live in a debt driven economy have no time to unite. People who are constantly bombarded with anxieties cannot focus on an issue.

And here's a challenge to you and your readers. (I too, enjoy your challenges every now and then Mr. Seifert). Try to guess who said this quote:

“Of course the people don’t want war. But after all, it’s the leader of the country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no Voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

You'd be amazed to discover who said it, where it was said, when it was said, and how future-proof it is.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Rick Seifert said...

If it weren't for the "fascist dictatorship" reference, I'd think it was Hitler.

Richard Nixon? Lyndon Johnson? Henry Kissinger?

Then again, if the statement is simply a cold, albeit cynical statement of fact, it could be a Martin Luther King, Jr. or even Gandhi. I hope I'm not THAT surprised.

I eagerly await the answer.

Great challenge!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hermann Goering, Luftwaffe Chief - Nuremberg Trial. April 18, 1946. (from the book "Nuremberg Diary" by Dr. Gustave Gilbert).

If I had not known, I would have guessed Richard Bruce Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, or Condoleezza Rice, but definitely not George W. Bush (he lacks the intelligence of such complex thought).

:)

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home